Thursday, August 12, 2010

One Down, One to Go

As I will likely not arrive in time for the first day of classes at FCU, Department Chair has requested that I send my syllabi to the department administrator by the end of the month. Administrator will make the appropriate copies and Department Chair will then distribute the syllabi for me at the first meetings of my classes.

But it's only the beginning of August. So it's hard for me to think about classes and readings and assignments. Particularly when all of my teaching materials are already at FCU (I had shipped them there directly from SmallTown in May).

Nevertheless, my lower-level course syllabus (Intro to the Second Half of the Good Book) is ready, including the course reserves and the arrangements for the library orientation.

So, now all I have left to do is the upper-level course syllabus, which will be a recycled, but reworked syllabus on the Short Stories of the Best Man Ever. (I taught this course last year at SLAC and am recycling it at FCU.)

Still, as I work on these syllabi, I find myself repeatedly struck by this thought:

Designing syllabi is a lot of work.