I suppose that I've always associated the months of summer vacation with, well, vacation. As a result, it has struck me a number of times over the past months just how hard I've been working on teaching-related tasks when classes aren't even in session.
For example:
- Textbook orders (which presumes the study of various possible textbooks);
- Writing syllabi (which presumes designing courses, assigning readings, creating assignments, writing instructions, various administrative tasks [e.g. scheduling library orientation, putting books and articles on reserve]);
- Library orders, so that students will have the appropriate books for their research papers (which presumes that I've read a range of books in my field and have chosen the appropriate ones for my students);
- Class prep! (I want to have the first two weeks' worth of classes prepped as I'll likely need to hit the ground running when [if!] I arrive in FCU-town).
I suppose that I'm just beginning to realize that when summer vacation is filled with preparations for September, that my days as a student really are over.
No comments:
Post a Comment