On Shamelessness
I like to think that, as a human being, I have a certain degree of honour and integrity. But a recent conversation in which I participated might indicate otherwise.
My new department chair (at First-Choice U) called me to discuss the courses that I'll be teaching in the fall. Of course, I'll be teaching an intro to the second half of the Good Book. I'll also be offering an upper-level seminar. And I can teach it on any topic of my choosing.
What did I offer to teach? A course on the short stories of the Best Man Ever.
Department Chair thinks that this is a great idea, since a course on the short stories hasn't been offered in quite some time. From the perspective of my career, this is certainly a good thing: in my very first semester, I will be bringing new courses to the department.
But the underlying motivation of my course offering is something quite different.
You see, during my first semester at SLAC, I taught a course on the short stories of the Best Man Ever.
Which means that during my first semester at First-Choice U, I will be recycling an entire course.
There was a time when I would have hung my head in shame at my brazen recycling of vast amounts of teaching material.
But I've apparently sunk to a new low in shamelessness...
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
sssssssccccccccccrrreeeeeeeeeech!
hang on.
they're paying you for what you can do. and what you can do is based on what you have done.
there is n.o. s.h.a.m.e.
nonewhatsoever
it is completely normal, completely natural, completely expected, in ANY field to do this.
if it weren't so, the whole world ought to be ashamed of itself.
you. deserve. a. break. from. absolute. high. perfect. ethical. ground. because no one else is on that ground.
LD: point taken.
I understand that profs recycle material, but I didn't think that I would be recycling so much material so early in my career...
Post a Comment