Monday, February 08, 2010

It Was a Good Day After All

Why?

  • I actually got out of bed when my alarm went off, so I was in time for my 8 a.m. class.
  • Once I got back into the classroom, I remembered why I love teaching so much, so it wasn't quite so difficult to manage my fatigue-induced crabbiness.
  • My new students actually laughed at my jokes. (It's very important, for pedagogical reasons, to laugh with one's new students within the first three classes. If one doesn't create a bond within that period, one will never be able to earn their trust, which means that one will never be able to teach them anything.)
  • I wrote my first reference letter.
  • One of my colleagues brought home-made chocolate chip cookies to share with the other members of the department.
  • When I told another colleague that Third-Choice U had sent me my rejection letter, she responded, "Well, aren't they stupid!"
  • I bumped into yet another colleague as I headed out into the snow to buy groceries. She was headed to the grocery store, too, so she gave me a lift.
  • I've actually finished class prep for this week for one of my courses. That means that I only two more class periods to prep for this week.
It's really nice when the day that you were dreading with all your might turns out to be a pretty good day.

No comments: