My First Week
I left Hometown last Friday.
At the airport, I paid the overweight luggage fee (10 lbs over the limit because of my books) and got my work visa (an irritating ordeal, in and of itself).
I spent last weekend in Nearest Big City helping friends from my masters' days to stage their home from sale. It figures that they're leaving two weeks after I arrive. It was hard work, but good for distracting me from thinking about my own transition.
Moved into my apartment Sunday night. Cleaned, unpacked, ate soup for dinner, and then fell asleep.
Monday was Admin Day: college admin in the morning (ID card, mailbox, keys) and personal admin in the afternoon (utilities office, renters insurance, bank).
Then the orientations began. If I never have to say "I'm Scholar-Wannabe and I'm new in Dept. X" again, it will be too soon. But people are friendly and helpful. I've lost count of the number of offers of "If you need any advice or help at the school or around town, feel free to ask me."
I did manage some work this week, too. The syllabi are both done and copied. Lectures for the first week of one class are done and half done for the other class.
And I did all this work in My First Office.
My name is on a plaque outside my door (when my contract ends, I am SO going to ask to keep the plaque!). Inside, there is a lovely desk, computer station (with college-supplied computer), three book cases, a filing cabinet, four chairs, and the window has a bay big enough for me to sit comfortably in.
Can you tell that I love my office?
And now that y'all know that I'm still alive, I must get that last lecture done for next week.
Saturday, September 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment