Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Moments Like These

The weight limit for my luggage is 2 x 50 lbs. The books and teaching files that I'm taking with me to Small Town (as opposed to leaving in Hometown) weigh 70 lbs. And there are other things (like clothes) that I need to pack as well.

But I absolutely need my research files. So, after picking and choosing quite extensively, I managed to pack only two big boxes (each weighing about 50 lbs) to be shipped by a shipping company.

The boxes were sent off yesterday. I don't need to access those files now (since I'm working on teaching materials, not research materials). And since the boxes were filled only with documents, there shouldn't be trouble at the border. And the tracking system of the shipping company tells me that the boxes should arrive by the time I'm settled in Small Town.

But in moments like these, when I experience serious separation anxiety because my research materials are not within arm's reach...

... I realize what a genuine nerd I am.

1 comment:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

What? You've actually succumbed to using "nerd" as a descriptor for yourself??? Catching up on your blog one post at a time! :-D