Gone (The Librarian)
Given my love of books and my love of bibliography, I suppose that it really comes as no surprise that I’m quite fond of libraries. This fondness also extends to the librarians who are ever helpful in my quest to becoming a scholar-in-actuality.
But Librarian at this school blows me away.
Upon my arrival, he first insisted on moving my luggage from the front gate, across the courtyard, up two flights of stairs, and into my room. (And it was quite heavy luggage, indeed.)
He then asked when the most convenient time for my personal tour of the library might be. When I suggested early the next morning, he expressed concern that I would be jetlagged and agreed to the early hour only after I insisted that I would be perfectly fine.
During my time here, Librarian has been nothing but helpful in assisting me with my research. If I can’t locate a book that should be in the stacks, he’ll personally search the whole library until he finds it. And if the library doesn’t own the book, he’ll order it.
But over the last month, I’ve discovered that he’s not only a wonderful librarian; he’s also the perfect gentleman.
He opens and holds doors for me. If we eat at the same table at mealtimes, he will insist on taking my dishes to the kitchen afterwards. And if he sees me in the school’s gardens, then I will return to my room with flowers that he’s just picked for me.
He realized that I was unhappy one afternoon. That evening, I found a CD of photos of his hometown in my mailbox. Since photos of his hometown always cheer him up, he thought that they’d cheer me up, too.
Truly, as long as Librarian lives, chivalry can never be dead.
I should point out, I suppose, that he’s a brother (the kind who wears a cassock), so there’s really nothing to worry about. This is all purely platonic.
Well, perhaps there’s just one thing to worry about: that I’m going to be spoiled rotten by the time I leave.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yeah? Get him married and all that chivalry will diminish into dust.
...
I'm not feeling inferior. I'm not. Just stating facts. That's all. ;-)
W.O.: I believe you. Really. I do.
But the beauty of this is that he's also the kind of brother who took a vow of celibacy... =D
Post a Comment