Saturday, February 16, 2008

Gone (One is the Loneliest Number)

The hardest thing about being in TLWTMS is balancing work-time and play-time. When I'm working in the library, that's all I want to do. But when I'm out and about, that's all I want to do.

But I've spent about three-quarters of the past week in the library because of the second-hardest thing about being in TLWTMS: having two X chromosomes.

I've received mixed advice about going out on my own. Some say that it's perfectly safe. Others say it's safe only during daylight hours. And then there are those who say that women should never venture out without a male escort.

And all of these people have my best interests at heart.

There are trips organized by the school, so I'll see some sights that way. And I've made some acquaintances, with whom I'll go and see other sights on occasion. But there are certain things that I want to do and to see that I won't get to do or see if I don't go on my own. And, well, there are times when a girl just needs to go for a walk to stretch her legs, you know?

So, I'll probably keep venturing out on my own, making sure to let someone know where I'm going and when I expect to be back.

But there certainly are moments when I wish y'all had come with me.

No comments: