Going... (Have I Got Rhythm?)
I can now count the number of months until I head off to TLWTMS on one hand. There are countless details that I'll need to attend to before I leave, but I find myself thinking not about these details, but about how I'll use my time once I arrive.
In Hometown, I spend my time commuting, reading, writing, researching, preparing to teach, teaching, and participating in various academic events.
In short, I have no life.
Now, I could certainly continue to live this way while at the school in TLWTMS and, with respect to the completion of The Thesis, this non-lifestyle would prove to be quite beneficial. But I don't simply want to research in TLWTMS.
I want to do "tourist-y" things: I want to see the Southern Desert, and swim in the Not So Watery Sea, and climb The Cliffs and explore the Mad King's fortress that the soldiers stormed, and hike all over North Country and see The Boat from The Lake.
But I also want to live in the TLWTMS: I want to know the Capital like the back of my own hand, and know the best places to buy things and the buses to take to get there, and to speak the modern language fluently.
I want the rhythm of TLWTMS to become part of the fabric of who I am, but not at the expense of losing my rhythm for my work.
Any ideas on how to live by two mutually exclusive rhythms?
Monday, October 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nope. When you find out how, let me know, 'k?
Darn it.
I thought for sure that you held the secret knowledge to this balance.
Post a Comment