Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Food for the Stomach

I disclosed in this post that I was creating indices for a book.

What I didn't disclose is that the book is in honour of the upcoming significant birthday of Nice-but-Big-Shot-Scholar (NBSS). The indices were completed and sent off to the publisher at the end of September, in time for presentation to NBSS at Big Society's annual meeting next month.

Since I didn't contribute an essay to this book, I hadn't expected to be invited to the presentation. Thus, I was touched to receive an invitation today.

As touched as I am, however, I've declined the invitation.

Why?

Because I don't want the opportunity to meet all the scholars who did contribute essays?

No way.

Because I don't want to be introduced to NBSS?

Uh-uh.

I've declined the invitation because the presentation of this book will take place at a dinner that will cost one hundred dollars per person.

Food for the stomach and the stomach for food.

But at that price, I think that I'll save my shekels.

No comments: