Please Don't Hate Me: An Open Letter
Dear Wife-of-one-of-my-students,
I'd like to begin by saying that your husband is one of my best students and that I very much enjoy having him in my class on the Theological Tractate.
He comes to class on time, does his readings, participates in class, and is thoroughly engaged in the learning process. Further, his research papers are well-written and well-researched; I suspect that this is because he actually reads the secondary sources that I direct him to.
I wish to apologize, however, for the unintended consequences of my directing him to these secondary sources.
I did not realize that my praise of a six-volume dictionary would lead to his purchase of the entire set. I really thought that he would simply photocopy the pages that he needed, since the dictionary is available for use in the reference section of the library. After all, that's what I do.
I also did not realize that my recommendation of a particular series of line-by-line discussions of the Good Book would result in his purchase of all fifty-eight volumes of that series.
I strongly suspect that you are already growing weary of his quickly-expanding library and I can only imagine how irritated you must be at the amount of space that his new books consume.
I would not blame you at all for being upset with me and I hope that you will believe me when I say that I will refrain from recommending any more books to your husband.
Yours truly, ScholarWannabe
Friday, November 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i'm assuming you didn't actually send this letter... lol!
No, B.W., I didn't actually send this letter.
But after this student informed me of all of these very space-consuming and costly purchases, the thought occurred to me that his wife probably did not appreciate my book recommendations!
or she may be very impressed by the new passion her husband has developed for reading thick books in series...
or she herself is a compulsive reader and is thankful that her husband finally bought the whole set of books...
or she may be cursing...
Post a Comment