All Things to All Men
I've now been teaching My Very Own Course for a whole month and with every passing week, I grow increasingly convinced that I was made to teach. Not that I haven't encountered challenges: the uncertain availability of textbooks; having more students in the class than weeks available for presentations; the problems associated with the course website.
But the greatest challenge has been trying to meet all of the students where they're at.
It isn't politically correct to say so, but it seems true to me nonetheless: students are not all created equal.
Some students are learning for their personal development; others are learning in order to lead the Family.
Some students can read the original language; other students struggle with the language of instruction.
Some students have thought and read a great deal about the Theological Tractate and the broader implications of this text; other students have never read the whole Tractate before and struggle with basic concepts and vocabulary.
And so, my goal is that over the whole term, I will provide something for everyone. Both complex and simple ideas; learning from textbooks and learning from discussions; high and low magnification analysis.
In short, I'll try to be all things to all men. Just not all at the same time.
Friday, October 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so exciting!
"...I'll try to be all things to all men."
And to the women?
Lesson in Greek: the Greek masculine includes any female parts of the group (just as in French).
Lesson in translation theory: the term translated as "men" is better translated as "humans" or "people."
Lesson in class demographics: only 20% of my students are women. And I'm the only non-Caucasian in the room.
I love giving lessons!
Post a Comment