Monday, August 13, 2007

The Impossible is Possible

I have mastered the art of storing the maximum number of books in any given space.

For instance, in my carrel, I currently have books on the desk, under the desk, on the air vents, and in sorted piles all over the floor. And yes, I also have books on the bookshelves, not standing vertically, but horizontally in piles (you can fit more books on the shelves that way). Lest you think that I'm unorganized, I hasten to add that I know exactly what books are in each pile and that the books are sorted by project and project subsets.

But as the books continue to increase in number, the thought that I once would have scoffed as impossible has finally crossed my mind:

Perhaps there is such a thing as having too many books.

(It occurs to me that the title of this post would lead a number of my readers to expect a more pious post. But it's my blog, and I'll be irreverent if I want to...)

3 comments:

Alex Tang said...

is there such thing as too many books? :)

Scholar Wannabe said...

Well, in a room that really only fits one desk, 200+ books would be considered by some to be too much...

Alex Tang said...

ah, so