Our Specials This Evening Are... A Follow-Up
1. I didn't appear to be an over-the-top keener since I wasn't the first one to arrive at the restaurant (Archaeologist, Prof, and Second Prof arrived first).
2. I didn't appear to be disrespectful or unorganized since I wasn't the last one to arrive either (Third Prof arrived after me).
3. Nobody asked me any awkward questions when I declined to have a glass of wine. (I never drink, anyway, but if I did, I would have certainly declined for the purpose of thinking clearly when dining with Scholars-in-Actuality!)
4. I knew that I should order an appetizer because Third Prof ordered before I did and he ordered an appetizer. (Whether one should order an appetizer or not always seems to depend on the group with whom one is dining. But if one is the first one to order, then what is one to do??)
5. I was not confused by the number of forks. There was only one fork at each setting to begin with; used cutlery was removed with dishes; and new cutlery was laid out prior to the arrival of the next dish.
6. I remembered to put my fork and knife at 4 o'clock when I was done with each dish.
7. I didn't feel dumb as a bell since I could actually follow the conversation.
8. I didn't appear dumb as a bell, either. After describing my thesis idea (Second Prof asked me to), Second Prof affirmed that my idea was important to study and comments from Archaeologist confirmed a number of my suspicions regarding the models currently in use.
9. Archaelogist really does like spending time with grad students. I asked a number of questions that he seemed to find intelligent and that he always answered thoroughly and patiently.
10. I saved the best for last: Archaeologist reminded me at two different points to be sure to email him when I arrive in TLWTMS because he would be happy to take me around N.C. for a few days! Going with Archaeologist means that I'll get to cross all of the tapes that say "Do Not Cross"!!
1 comment:
Sounds like it was a rewarding and exciting time, albeit a little guarded on the etiquette side. Very excited for you in your developments!
Post a Comment