Sunday, May 06, 2007

I've Got Little Birdies Everywhere

One of the students in my tutorial this semester was also enrolled in Prof. Mom's course.

I had thought that I would be an anonymous grader. This student, however, somehow discovered that I would be grading the papers for Prof. Mom's course. What this student doesn't know is that I have little birdies everywhere and learned of his/her reaction.

The student's reaction: (groaning audibly) "She's SUCH a hard grader! Getting a 76% from her is like getting an 86% from any one else!"

I am very pleased with the reputation that I'm developing amongst my students.

1 comment:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Not clear why you are "very pleased" with such a reputation.

For me, the key to grading is to allow students the opportunity to have an accurate assessment of their learning. Being a hard or easy grader is not the point. Being a grader clearly communicates what the student has learned and how he/she should continue to learn is what's important.

Then again, I don't think I'd like a job simply as a "grader." For me, the key is in the syllabus design, where I can impact learning. The focus on higher education should be learning, not merely content delivery followed by assessment.

Here's one article I found on the topic:
http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k0206sti.htm