Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Careful What You Wish For...

On Monday morning, my mom's kitchen was gutted: the cupboards and counters were ripped out, the kitchen sink and dishwasher thrown out, and the floor ripped up. All that was left standing were the walls (albeit with holes revealing where the plumbing used to be).

On Monday afternoon, cement was laid down on the remnants of my mom's kitchen in preparation for the new ceramic tile floor.

On Tuesday, we all waited for the cement to finish drying.

Today's Day Three and they're supposed to lay the ceramic floor today.

Cooking is difficult, dishwashing is a nightmare, and acquiring a source of running water is a near impossibility. What used to be a few steps across the kitchen now requires multiple trips up and down stairs and in and out of different rooms. But I think to myself, "I can rough it for a few days, 'cause if my mom's happy, then we can all be happy."

But my mom's already regretting the whole renovation. She's anticipating the disposal of her present appliances with a great deal of mourning (despite the fact that she's getting new ones from Ikea); she's frustrated at the apparently slow progress ("What do you mean that we have to wait for the cement to dry?!"); and she's stressed out because she thinks that it's compulsory for her to cook and wash dishes (the rest of the household would be very happy to eat take-out on paper plates, but you try telling that to an Asian mother/wife!).

Don't get me wrong. I love my mom and I'm profoundly grateful for everything that she has ever done for me. But this woman is HIGH MAINTENANCE.


For the past two nights, upon arriving home, I very gently and very quietly ask her if she's coping any better with the stress of the renovations and then I brace myself for the inevitable tirade of complaints. I don't really expect her to cope better, but I think that it makes her feel better to express her frustrations.

What I really want to say to her is, "Careful what you wish for, huh?" But what I think to myself is, "I can rough it for a few days, 'cause if my mom's happy, then we can all be happy..."


(Stay tuned for more kitchen reno updates...)

No comments: