Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Summons

I'm heading off to Big Society's Annual Meeting this Friday.

The meeting doesn't officially begin until Saturday morning. Thus, Friday evening is typically spent with friends. To that end, I have made plans to have a low-energy, off-duty dinner with my two best friends from school.

But I may have to cancel.

Why?

Because the most senior member of my department (and a close friend of Advisor) has just sent me an email inviting me to Friday night dinner (along with another scholar, who, in fact, is my predecessor at FCU).

I don't think that I'm obligated in any official way to join hir for dinner. And I don't think that s/he will be offended if I decline. In fact, I think that Senior Colleague is simply being collegial.

But I don't feel comfortable saying "no" to the most senior member of my department.

I've already made plans with people with whom I can be off duty. And we won't have a chance to spend any time together at any other point of the conference (due to conflicting obligations).
And, frankly, I simply don't want to be on duty one moment sooner than I have to.

But after I pout about this tonight, I suspect that I'll send Senior Colleague an email tomorrow saying that I'd be delighted to join hir for dinner.

I just hope that my friends will understand why I'm bailing out on them...

2 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Oh, to be so wanted...

;-)

(duck, or tense-up stomach muscles)

Scholar Wannabe said...

LDNM: Funny. Really. Very funny.