Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Heart My Colleagues

As a rule, I think that younger people should be respectful to older people. And I think that younger professors should be respectful to older professors (particularly the associate and full professors who will write letters on behalf of assistant professors for such things as tenure).

So, it should go without saying that assistant professors should be respectful to emeriti professors.

But I am about to make an exception.

Last week, I attended a departmental function to which students and a number of emeriti professors were invited. I had been warned that one of the latter group had a reputation for being obnoxious and had attempted to steer clear of hir, but was not quite successful.

When I was introduced to the whole group as a new professor in the department, Professor Obnoxious asked, in front of the whole group, from where I hailed. I answered with a smile, "I was born, raised, and educated in HomeTown." Professor Obnoxious then asked, in front of the whole group, "No, but where are your parents from?" I answered, still with a smile on my face, "Well, my parents are from Far Country, but I'm from Home Country." That Professor Obnoxious felt that my answer had not been respectful enough was obvious as s/he commented, not quite under hir breath, "Well,
I don't know why she sounds so defensive!"

Later in the evening, Professor Obnoxious cornered me. The most appropriate question that s/he asked during this conversation was, "So, how old are you now?" (I demurred from this question, which did not impress Professor Obnoxious one bit).

I eventually managed to excuse myself and quickly left the function. Then I went home to take a very long shower to wash away the feeling of being defiled.

Over the last few days, a number of my colleagues have told me that they thought that I handled the group situation very well. And upon learning of the later conversation, they have been indignant on my behalf.

Department Chair, who is one of the most gentle, thoughtful, and tactful persons I've ever known, found out about these incidents and came to see me this morning. S/he informed me that s/he will have a conversation with Professor Obnoxious and make clear that hir behaviour was completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I wouldn't repeat the experience with Professor Obnoxious for anything.

But it's really nice to see that my senior colleagues will stand up for me.

3 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Well maneuvered, and well-supported. I must come visit this place.

CM said...

Reminds me of my supervisor. When asked, "what are you?"

"I'm from Home Country."

Then the follow up question is, "what are your parents?"

"Happy."

Scholar Wannabe said...

LDNM: Yes, you must come visit!!! (but you might want to hold off on purchasing travel tickets until I acquire a wee bit more furniture...)

CM: What an awesome answer! I may steal it from you...