Friday, May 07, 2010

Give an Inch...

There will be a final exam for my course on the Best Man Ever. And it will cover all of the material for the entire semester.

So, I decided to show my students some mercy and provide the essay questions that would constitute the exam to the students. These questions were made available three weeks before the exam in order to give them the opportunity to prepare their answers ahead of time.

Their gratitude was underwhelming.
  • Can we also bring a page of notes?
  • And can the exam be "open book"?
  • Why does the exam have to be at 8 a.m.? (I had nothing to do the exam schedule, which is determined by the registrar's office.) Can I come at 9 a.m. instead? (My answer was, "Yes, if you only want to write for one hour.")
  • Could we simply write these as take-home exams so that we don't have to come to the exam time? Don't you trust us not to cheat? (Uh. . . no.)
  • Instead of preparing answers for all of these essay questions, can we answer only a few of them?
These students don't know it, but for the rest of my career, I will likely never make questions available to students ahead of time.

4 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Ingrates. Flunk em all!

;-)

CM said...

3 weeks ahead of time?! That's too nice of you.

Q said...

shameless, to boot!
that's it... throw in a surprise, compulsory question, just for fun.

Scholar Wannabe said...

TB: I finally broke down and threatened them with a very stringent grading scheme if the whining didn't cease immediately.

CM: Seriously, no one has ever said that I'm too nice an educator.

OTQ: You read my mind! When the whining didn't cease with my first threat, that was the second threat that I issued (and I'm completely prepared to follow through on it, too).