Puzzled
I met with one of my Good Book Intro students this afternoon and I've been puzzling over one of hir comments ever since.
The comment that has me thinking is this one: "I thought that the course would be about the Good Book, and not so much on the context of the Good Book."
I think that my puzzlement is two-fold:
1) Since we spent the first week of class discussing the importance of reading the text in its original context, why is this student wondering why we discuss the context?
2) Since we do discuss texts in class, why does this student feel like s/he's not learning about the text?
So, while this student puzzles over the writings of the Cave Community in preparation for Friday's class, I will be puzzling over hir comment.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Maybe student wanted "devotional-study" a la Fourth Choice U? (Or was it Third Choice?)
I think that you're right, LD.
But it saddens me that the student misses out on so much of the Good Book because s/he thinks that understanding the context of the writings doesn't contribute to understanding of the text.
Post a Comment