The Importance of Self-Maintenance
This semester, I teach on a MWF schedule. And for the entire semester, I have been coming in on TR to work in my office.
Today, I decided not to. Instead, I had a dentist's appointment, bought groceries, cooked dinner, cleaned the entire apartment, and did laundry.
In short, I have done no intellectual work today.
Yes, I'll now do a few hours of work on my dissertation, but I essentially took today off.
And I'm OK with that because I feel good about having taken care of all the other non-intellectual work and will, as a consequence, work better on my intellectual work.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I find that I am usually only satisfied with such days when I had planned them in advance. Otherwise, they feel like procrastination to me. Glad you had a "break" from routine. Not that I'm suggesting it is not your routine to clean. Ha ha.
Btw, I'm morphing.
- TB
Hey S.W.B.
It has been a while, but I have always taken great joy in not doing the non-intellectual stuff.
In fact, I also take great pride in not doing the intellectual stuff either. :P
Post a Comment