On Timing
I don't like the students in my 10:30 a.m. section of Good Book Intro.
It's terrible of me, I know. I'm expected to be a professional educator who doesn't play favourites.
But I really don't like them.
They don't bring the Good Book to class (despite my reminders and stating during every class, "Let's look at the text...").
When I lecture, they don't take notes (despite my very obvious hints that they need to write things down because I will test them on it).
When I don't lecture, they waste the class time. If I assign small group work and they choose their own groups, they complete the exercise in 30 seconds and then gossip for the rest of the time about the parties that they'll be attending on the weekend, or the latest drama in residence (yes, I can hear the conversations that are going on). If I assign the groups, certain students will actually sulk (what are you, three years old?).
If I initiate large group discussions, no one participates. And if I call on individuals, they have no shame in replying, "I don't know" (when the answer simply requires them to read the primary text).
Under different circumstances, I might conclude that I'm a terrible teacher. Something must be wrong with my pedagogical technique or the activities that I'm using in class. It is somehow my fault that I haven't connected with these students.
But the exact same lesson plans work like a charm in my 8 a.m. section. Those students are really learning the material, having some fun while learning, and, I suspect, they will perform better on the mid-term exam next week.
I never thought that 2.5 hours could make such a difference.
But, perhaps timing really is everything.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
it's really weird but yes, the groups do have certain dynamics.
can you smack each trouble maker individually?
Post a Comment