I think that it would be fair to describe me as organized. But the logistics of moving twice in one year are beginning to boggle my mind:
- My semester ends on May 19, the last exam is May 25, and my visa requires me to return to Home Country on May 31.
- I'll need to pack up my office and apartment. Some stuff will be given away, other stuff needs to be returned. Some books and files will be shipped to Hometown and some to FCU-town (I need to think up an appropriate pseudonym).
- I need to purchase a plane ticket home. This means arranging rides to deliver and pick me up to and from the airports.
- It's cheaper to fly from SmallTown to FCU-town than Hometown for apartment-hunting purposes. So, I need to find three consecutive days to make that trip. I'd like to go at the end of May, but I'm afraid that rental-hunting season will be over by then, so I'm also considering three days at the end of April.
- I've started looking at possible apartments to rent in FCU-town. I'd like to be within walking distance of FCU and there are options. Liveable-but-not-luxurious places are about $500/month, but nicer apartments (where other FCU profs have lived/are living) are in the $700 range. My current plan is to rent for two years and then purchase a home. Would it be worth the extra $200/month to have a home instead of just a place to sleep? Or should I save my shekels for the down payment on my own home? (An extra $4800 towards a down payment is nothing to sneeze at.)
- I need to figure out my work visa. I'll need a different class of visa that will require an extensive application from FCU. I may need to book an appointment at the embassy in Hometown.
- I also need to think about what I want to move from Hometown to FCU-town and how to get it there. If it's only books and files, then I may send everything via UPS. But what about furniture? Should I move stuff (which would require a shipping company) or buy new stuff (which would require some help in FCU-town)?
But it would be a lot easier to deal with this list if I didn't have a job to do and a dissertation to finish as well...
2 comments:
But it felt like only yesterday when you moved in. Wow.
In some ways, yes, it does feel like I moved in just yesterday.
But in other ways, no. The time in SmallTown has moved rather slowly.
How's that for a nuanced answer? =) (only an academic would answer this way, I think)
Post a Comment