Monday, January 25, 2010

Smaller Is Better

Having completed my bachelor degree at a school where my smallest class had 300 students and my smallest tutorial had 50, I am accustomed to large classes.

When I started as a T.A., there was a certain sense of pride when I had larger tutorial groups than the other T.A.s, as students jostled to be in my tutorial.

After teaching a class of two, however, I've realized that smaller class sizes allow me to have more interaction with my students.

And after the grading frenzy that was my Christmas holiday, I have decided that larger classes simply mean more grading (and grade appeals). And I'm certainly in favour of less grading (and grade appeals).

So, as I watch the numbers of students in my spring semester classes rise, I find myself suppressing a groan and wishing for something that I've never wished for before:

Students dropping my classes.

4 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Oh. For the first time, I Asked for potential clients to say no after the first meeting. My Asking was not Answered in the Affirmative. Sigh.

Scholar Wannabe said...

I had no idea that you could ask potential clients to say no.

Learn a new thing every day...

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

I did not ask the clients. I Asked the Divine.

Scholar Wannabe said...

Ah. Now I understand. (Silly me!)