Irritated
Remember the student from this post, who argued with me for forty-five minutes over one mark?
One of the other things we had discussed was hir performance on the reading reflections that I've assigned. Hir strategy has been "quantity over quality." My grading schema has been "quality over quantity." So, as you might imagine, hir reflection paper grades have not received stellar grades.
Another reading reflection was due last Friday.
On Monday, s/he asked if I had the reflections graded. I said no.
And today at the end of class, s/he asked if I had the reflections graded. Again, I said no.
They'll be ready for Friday and, in my opinion, one week is a reasonable turn-around time for 58 mini-papers.
Especially when I'm preparing to teach classes, preparing for J-term and spring courses (textbook orders are due this week), carrying out departmental administrative duties, designing assignments for when I go away to Big Society's annual conference, preparing for multiple interviews and completing my paper for Big Society's annual conference, and, oh yeah, completing my dissertation.
And then there's cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, bill payments, and laundry to take care of at home.
I'm trying not to be irritated by this student's persistence (which, in a less charitable mood, I might describe as pushy). S/he, like most students, has no idea how much professors do outside of the classroom.
But I must confess that my attempts not to be irritated by this student have not been very successful today...
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment