The Sooner, The Better
I try to like my students. I really do. But I'm also aware that I am rather biased against the popular, cheerleader type (who made large portions of my own adolescence rather unhappy...). But I don't think that you'll blame for disliking this student when you read this story...
For the first week of class, she studiously took notes during class. But her only and oft-repeated question was, "Will we be tested on this material?", to which I would always inwardly sigh and outwardly politely respond, "Yes, you will."
Student who really doesn't care about the class. Strike 1.
Last Wednesday, the first homework assignment was due. It's a worksheet of five questions asking the students about themselves. Student didn't understand one of the questions and visited my office during office hours. In an attempt to help her understand the question, I provided an illustration. When I graded the homework assignment, I found that her answer to that question consisted of the illustration that I had provided.
Student who plagiarizes the professor. Strike 2.
Last Friday, she came to class, but I have no idea why. She sat in the front row, but paid no attention at all while I taught (does she think that I don't see her flirting with the boy sitting behind her?). When the students broke up into small groups, she didn't do the prescribed group work (does she think that I can't hear her gossiping with her friend?). And when there were still five minutes left in class, she noisily began to put her notebook and pen away. At which point, I interrupted my own teaching, looked straight at her, bluntly stated, "I still have five minutes left", and proceeded to finish up the lesson.
Student who thinks that she owns my classroom. Strike 3.
I'll be returning the homework assignment tomorrow. And I'll be having a little chat with this student.
This is my classroom, not hers. And the sooner she learns this, the better.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment