Thursday, September 10, 2009

Demoralizing

Cognitively, I know that I shouldn't take it personally when a student drops my course. But in this case, I think that it is personal.

Yesterday, I bumped into Stu Dent after the first class in the student center. We chatted a bit and s/he asked about my faith background. As a policy, I don't disclose it because I don't want to be perceived as favouring or disfavouring those who do or don't have the same background as me. So, I dodged hir question. S/he persisted in this endeavour and proceeded to ask, "Well, then who is the Best Man Ever to you?" I joked that s/he could ask me at the end of the semester.

Today, Stu dropped my course.

Cognitively, I know that it's better in the long run that s/he dropped my class. And I still stand by my policy of not disclosing information about my faith background.


But this experience is demoralizing, nonetheless.

No comments: