Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Life Lessons

Lessons that I'll be giving: I'll be teaching two courses in the fall: two sections of Intro to the Good Book and one section of Seminar on the Second Half of the Good Book.

I'm nervous about teaching the Good Book Intro because I'll have to teach the First Half of the Good Book. I've found a bunch of good resources already and I'm recycling the syllabus used by the prof for whom I am filling in (no need to re-invent the wheel, right?), so I think that it'll be OK. But I'm still nervous.

I'm really excited about the Seminar course, though. It'll focus on reading the Best Man Ever's stories in the original context. Students will be exposed to primary and secondary sources and will learn research and writing skills. And I get to teach a course that reflects my own research interests!

I'll be teaching during the January intensive and the winter term, too, but preparing those courses will just have to wait...

Lessons that I'm receiving:
1. I do not need to apply in advance for a visa. I like to think that I'm pretty smart, but I spent about four hours reading New Country's visa regulations before I was sure that I didn't need to go to the consulate and apply in advance. (Someone needs a lesson in writing with clarity!)
2. I do not need to take ALL of my books and ALL of my files with me. I want to, and I'd certainly prefer to. But that would be about 700 lbs of weight. So, no, I don't absolutely need to.
3. I am too independent for my own good. Little Sister can help with planning and shopping and giving me cooking lessons. Best Friend can drive me to the airport. Friends from my masters' days can help at the receiving end. But only if I let them...