Thursday, April 23, 2009

It Never Rains, But It Pours

I have an essay due next Tuesday. And I'm copy-editing a book for a former prof (from my masters' days). And I have to start writing the paper that I'm presenting at Small Society's Annual Meeting at the end of May.

And the hard drive on my laptop decided to die.

Yes, a storm cloud has definitely entered Scholar-Wannabe Territory. But, no, Scholar-Wannabe is not getting drenched.

After a virus infected my laptop last fall, I became a fanatic about backing everything up, both on an external hard drive and by emailing my most important work to myself. So, I'm not going to lose anything.

And I've realized that there are actually people in my life on whom I can depend in a crisis.

My little sister (who is actually taller than me) has been offering all manner of emotional support. Mom will deliver my laptop to Uncle, who will install a new hard drive for me. Best Friend has loaned me her own laptop until mine has been resurrected (I'm using her laptop at this very moment). And Best Friend's husband and Little Sister's boyfriend will assist with software issues.

But I've also realized that I am much more attached to my laptop than I had realized.

I felt sad as I packed up my laptop to the "Land of Resurrection." And when Mom took my laptop this morning, I asked her to be gentle with my "baby" and to take good care of it. She looked at me like I was crazy, but promised to do so.

I will be very glad when this storm cloud moves away from Scholar-Wannabe Territory and my laptop is resurrected and restored to my side.

But in the meantime, I have a pretty good umbrella over my head.

1 comment:

busterwife said...

i'm so sorry about your dear friend. i hope he/she gets better soon and is back at your side! i'm glad to hear that you have so many good friends to take care of you!