A Different Kind of Wonderful
I haven't had any teaching responsibilities since December 2007.
No grading. No lectures or tutorials to prepare. No grading. No emails from students requesting extensions five hours before an assignment is due. No grading. No grade appeals. No grading. No cases of plagiarism to handle.
And did I mention no grading?
Instead, my time was my own to use in any way that I pleased. I could read or write if I wanted to. And if I didn't want to, then I could go exploring all over TLWTMS or excavate in North Country. And even when I returned to Hometown, the only person that my schedule had to accommodate was me.
It was wonderful.
And after spending all of 2008 reveling in this wonderful life, I find myself suppressing a groan in the face of this change that I cannot prevent.
My days will no longer be my own. Instead, I will divide my time between my own research and my teaching responsibilities: preparing well for class, facilitating a safe learning environment, marking efficiently and fairly, and being available for consultation and supervision.
But I remind myself of the joys of teaching: the camaraderie that can be nurtured in the class; the privilege of instilling the students with a love of books and a love of research; and the times when students have "ah-ha!" moments.
In short, my return to the classroom will be a different kind of wonderful.
At least, I keep telling myself that.
Monday, January 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I haven't taught for a couple of years too. I wonder if I'd feel differently about teaching now. It'd be great to hear how you have changed with the year's break from teaching.
Post a Comment