Friday, December 12, 2008

You're Kidding, Right?

The school for which I interviewed is a member of a consortium (very much like my present school). All the schools meet together to discuss prospective hires, since courses are cross-listed for the students of the different schools within the consortium. It's been a week since their meeting and I haven't heard from them, so it's certain that I won't be getting an invitation for a campus visit.

But I just received a poorly-written email from a professor of my own field (second half of the Good Book) of one of the member schools (clearly cut-and-pasted from something else and with no attempt to edit it at all).

The request: Since I am a visible minority and since there will be a panel at the next annual meeting of Big Society's sister society on visible minorities and the Good Book, would I please be on their panel?

You're kidding, right?

I'm offended for two big reasons (and a bunch of little ones).

First, I am tired of being tapped every time there is a need for a representative of a visible minority. I am Western born and very "white on the inside," as they say. I am interested only in being labeled as a scholar, not an ethnic scholar. That is not to say that the voice of ethnic scholars isn't important, but I am not an ethnic scholar and have no interest in being labeled as such.

Second, this professor was one of people who decided not to have me invited for a campus visit. If he isn't interested in having me as his colleague at his school, why should I be interested in being his colleague in Sister Society? You gotta give a little to get a little, my friend.

Cognitively, I know that I'm just sore that I wasn't invited for a campus visit, particularly after the interviewers explicitly told Advisor that they had been impressed with me.

I also know that I'm taking this personally when I really ought not to. So many factors that have nothing to do with my qualifications as a teacher or as a scholar are considered.

And when I reply to decline this invitation, I will be courteous and professional, hiding all evidence of how deeply I am offended.

But for the moment, all I can think when I read this email is, "You're kidding, right?"

3 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Pooi! (the sound of spitting in Chinese)

busterwife said...

wow, that's pretty awful. i didn't think stuff like that still happens in the academic world (the part about how they were so pathetically and unapologetically honest about why they were asking for your involvement.)
...............
ooo........oo
ooo......oo..
........oo....
........oo....
ooo......oo..
ooo........oo
...............
(it's supposed to be a great big sad face)

Scholar Wannabe said...

LD: It comforts me so much when my friends are indignant on my behalf. *sniff*

BW: Oh, the stories that I could tell! The politics that take place in TLWTMS can't hold a light to the politics going on in the academy...