You Get What You Ask For
For the record, I really, really, REALLY want to have a tenure-track job next September.
Unfortunately, I hate, hate, HATE looking for this job.
The job descriptions calling for perfectly rounded scholars who can teach any class and publish groundbreaking research on any topic make me feel like I will never know anything and, thus, will never have a job.
And asking for reference letters from established scholars who will know which schools didn't want to hire me also makes me feel incredibly inadequate and, thus, will never have a job.
And writing cover letters that essentially serve to package me as The Only Candidate That Schools Will Need to Consider offends my idealism so much that I want to stop writing them altogether.
But, then I will never have a job.
But Best Friend is right (as she almost always is): I didn't work this hard for this long only to be unemployed because I didn't look at job descriptions, ask for reference letters, and write cover letters that will hopefully result in job interviews, campus visits, and, of course, a job.
And so, I suppress the inward groan and grit my teeth and continue on my quest for employment.
Because I really, really, REALLY want to have a tenure-track job next September.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I will be praying with you through this. I too will be groaning and gritting teeth through my proposal, because I really, really, REALLY want to be done.
Thanks so much for your prayers, LD!
(And you'll have mine in regards to your proposal, too!)
Post a Comment