Friday, September 19, 2008

Old and Forgetful

Since the beginning of the fall semester, I’ve had to go into the college a number of times. Sometimes for administrative purposes; sometimes for meetings; and sometimes just to pick up my mail.

And each and every time I go into the college, I run into my former students.

Now, I’d like to think that I’m a good instructor who cares about and has time for her students. So, I smile, greet them, inquire how they’re doing, ask what courses they’re taking, and report the progress that I’m making (or lack thereof!) on The Thesis.

But something terrible happened while I was in TLWTMS:

I’ve forgotten the names of my former students.

I recognize their faces and can recall how long ago I taught them and in what course. I remember whether they’re married or not (and with or without children) and whether they live on or off campus.

But I cannot for the life of me remember their names.

I knew that living in TLWTMS would change me.

But I never thought that it would change me in this way…