Sunday, April 20, 2008

Better Late Than Never

I was tagged by Lonely Dissertator over a week ago, but haven't have a chance to respond until now, so here goes:

1. Provide a list of the books you’re currently reading. (in the interests of maintaining my pseudonymity, I’m leaving out ten-odd books that name TLWTMS)

Hellenistic Economies, edited by Zofia H. Archibald, et al.
World Soils, by E.M. Bridges

Geography of Agriculture, by Howard F. Gregor
Poverty and Charity in Roman Palestine, by Gildas Hamel
Economic Rationalism and Rural Society in Third-Century A.D. Egypt, by Dominic Rathbone
Palaeoethnobotany, by Jane Renfrew

2. Pick up the nearest book.

Rathbone, Dominic. Economic Rationalism and Rural Society in Third-Century A.D. Egypt: The Heroninos Archive and the Appianus Estate. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991. (Proper bibliographical formatting is very important!)

3. Open to page 123.


4. Find the fifth sentence.

5. Post the next three sentences.

These others can only have been independent villagers of Euhemeria, by which I mean that they were not permanent employees of the Appianus estate, although they probably all had some other link with the estate. Some may have been relatives of metrematiaioi, for instance, and some men who were often employed on the phrontis as casual labourers. Another possibility, to be discussed further later, is that they all – including the metrematiaioi – came under the fiscal patronage of the estate because they were tenants of estate accommodation.

(It occurs to me that the fact that I find these sentences immensely interesting is a sign of my very sad state...)

No comments: