Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I Need a Vacation

Over the past two weeks, I have been telling myself to "just write a post!" but have been too exhausted to write a post, much less a witty post. Thus, I offer the following bullets to abate any concerns that you might have about my well-being.

  • My so-called holidays began with grading. I failed only one student in My Very Own Course. And it was the student's own fault. (I simply cannot be expected to pass a student who attended only three out of thirteen classes and did not submit the final project.)

  • I then spent about a week catching up on my hours for Advisor's research project. I don't think that this research would be very appealing to most people (it consists mostly of locating obscure primary texts on various topics), but I've been enjoying it immensely!

  • I also managed to work on The Thesis. I have a very good idea what the first two chapters will look like and what work I'll need to do while in TLWTMS.

  • I've made most of the arrangements at school that need to be made for the time that I'll be away. Now, if only my bags and books would pack themselves...

  • I did spend some time with family and friends. The former asked when I would get married; the latter asked when I would graduate. Neither question was particularly welcome.

  • The most emotionally trying part of the holidays was moving out of my carrel. The deal that I had made with my "carrel buddy" was that I would have sole use of the carrel during the fall term, and s/he would have sole use of it during the winter term. I miss having a space to myself on campus.

It occurs to me that time spent resting is missing from the above list. That probably explains why I feel like I need a holiday to recover from my "holiday"...

2 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

"I have a very good idea what the first two chapters will look like and what work I'll need to do while in TLWTMS."

So exciting! I've been thinking of my topic a lot (everyday, in fact). Glad to be doing something different and more me.

Even taking the weekend off can make a difference. Hope you can get at least that much.

busterwife said...

nice to have you back!