Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gotta Have Faith

Big Society's Annual Meeting (BSAM) was wonderful.

I gave my paper (which was received enthusiastically), heard others' papers, and, most importantly, schmoozed with the Big Boys of North Country studies. They were all enthusiastic about my thesis and not only offered advice, but also requested to see my work. One Big Boy even invited me to participate in a dig at the town where water was turned into wine.

My trip to and from BSAM, however, was not wonderful.

The airline's computers were down on the date of my departure. Thus, instead of leaving Hometown at 9:15 a.m. and arriving in San Diego at 11:15 a.m., I stood in line for 5.5 hours, almost cried on the shoulder of the man at the re-booking desk, and procured a flight from Hometown to Chicago at 5:30 p.m.

Having arrived in Chicago, I learned that my seat from Chicago to San Diego was not confirmed. I almost cried on the shoulder of the woman at this desk, too. Fortunately, volunteers gave up their seats and I arrived in San Diego at 10 p.m.

On the way back, my flight to San Francisco was cancelled and the airline re-booked me on a flight two hours earlier without notifying me. Fortunately, I had arrived early and was the last passenger to board the plane. Unfortunately, my luggage was delivered only to San Francisco.

I am still waiting for it to arrive in Hometown.

All of my teaching material is in that luggage; so class this morning was a challenge (at best). Further, my business clothes are in that luggage; so I had to teach in my blue jeans and sweatshirt. Finally, my key chain is in that luggage; so I'm locked out of house and carrel.

I know that I gotta have faith about the arrival of my luggage.

But that's in my luggage, too.

2 comments:

busterwife said...

that is one of the most horrendous airline stories i have ever heard. wow! i am so sorry for you....

i would have cried for sure. i've done it before... : (

Alex Tang said...

I am so glad your conference was a success and so was your paper presentation. In the academic world, it is so important to network.

Your travel stories are horrifying but Asian travel stories will make your hair curl!

so you did taught from your heart after all :)