A Lesson in Greek Vocabulary
I have literally spent months exegeting the Castration Correspondence.
There are things that I love about it: the Letter Writer's passion, the straight talk, the brilliant reasoning. But there is one thing in the letter that never ceases to amuse me.
Greek nouns can be one of three genders: masculine, feminine, or neuter (kind of like French, but with one more category). A particular noun is repeated at a number of points in the letter: akrobustia. The -ia ending indicates that the noun is feminine.
The translation of akrobustia? Foreskin.
You would've thought that of all the nouns that would be masculine, "foreskin" would be one of them.
Thursday, February 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hmm... does that make the uncircumcised more effeminate?
I don't think so.
If anything, those who practiced circumcision were considered _more_ effeminate.
Makes me want to go back and be a philologist...
Post a Comment