Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Wrong Place for Reader-Response Criticism

Yes, there's absolutely a place for reader-response criticism (a method of interpretation in which the reader's understanding of a document determines what the document means).

But that place is not my classroom.

  • When instructions are given for assignments, the instructions should be followed.
  • When three books are listed as sources to consult, consult them.
  • When you cite sources, provide a footnote and include a bibliography.
  • When writing an essay, full sentences are required and, no, personal anecdotes, even humourous ones, will not improve your grade.
  • In a course on the text in the first century, stay in the first century. The following 2000 years of thinking haven't happened yet.

I have been grading the first assignment for the past few hours and am grumpy. Can you tell?

4 comments:

busterwife said...

i think you sound like somebody i know... ;-)

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

You've made the typical-yet-perfectly-reasonable flawed assumption that students (1) read the syllabus, and (2) listen to instructions.

Your experience reminds me that I probably don't want to be teaching a lot in the future. At least not in a large classroom context. Unless I do all multiple choice.

YAY FOR MULTIPLE CHOICE!

(Note time of comment: burning the midnight lightbulb)

Scholar Wannabe said...

B.W.: Why do I get the feeling that these types of comments aren't unfamiliar to you? =P

W.O.: Actually, since these are Masters' students, my assumption is that they actually want to take this class and learn something.

IMHO, they threw away a wonderful opportunity not only to learn something that will help the Family, but will also familiarize them with resources that they will need to use.

Further, I not only went over the syllabus in two different tutorials, I also responded to a plethora of emails concerning this assignment and was ambushed at the college every time I needed to be there to do my own work! The only thing that I didn't do was complete the assignment for these students.

Finally, I, too, am a HUGE supporter of multiple choice exams!

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

FYI:
http://www.xanga.com/gabriel_vision/569836218/item.html