Realizations Come in Three's
I've put the thesis proposal on hold for a few days and have been working on my syllabus instead.
During the course of my preparations, I have made three realizations:
1. I'm not as smart as I think I am... While I know enough about the Theological Treatise to teach for two hours, I absolutely do not know enough to teach for twenty-six hours.
2. If I assign readings for the students, I, too, must do the same readings. I'm not sure why this hadn't occurred to me before, but it hadn't. In addition to the readings that I've assigned to the students, I also need to read other sources so as not to regurgitate the readings during the lectures. (Fortunately, I have found a wonderful book upon which I will base my lectures.)
3. I am addicted to bibliography. I started with twenty-odd books on the Theological Treatise, which generated another list of thirty-odd books and articles to read. And after reading those sources, I generated another list of thirty-odd books and articles to read. I'm going to work on those today, but you know what that's going to generate...
Monday, July 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My realization is two:
1. I will never be a scholar like you will be.
2. That's perfectly okay.
W.O., I'm doubtful that you will never be a scholar like I will be.
I'm certain, however, that I will never be as balanced a human being as you already are!
Post a Comment