In the Eyes of Others
Earlier today, I ran into a committee member of the society for which I'll be the student liason in the upcoming year (at the library, where else?). Here's an excerpt from our conversation:
Committee Member: So, remind me, you accepted the nomination to be the student rep this year, right?
S.W.: Yes, I did. I was so flattered to be nominated! I haven't yet told some of my friends in the society, though, because I'm afraid that they'll vote against my nomination at the society's annual meeting just to tease me!
Committee Member: (laughs at S.W.'s joke) You know, I think that it's going to be so much fun to work with you on the committee. I'm really looking forward to it.
Fun? Fun?!? Since when do I have a reputation for being fun to work with?
I was going for such reputable (but admittedly boring) traits as "reliable," "dependable," or "trustworthy." Thus, while I'm not insulted by the committe member's comment, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.
But when you're a ScholarWannabe and not a Scholar-in-Actuality, you take what you can get.
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Scholar Funabee?
maybe you are a party animal in disguise... :-P
Post a Comment