Fridge or Sauna?
I belong to the elect who are privileged enough to have a carrel at the main campus library.
The most important benefit of being a member of the elect is having a reserved reading space, complete with bookshelves, filing cabinets, extended borrowing privileges (I can have 200 books out at once!), and locking door (very important when one does not desire to lug one's laptop all around campus).
However, the carrel does not come with an adjustable thermostat.
Thus, for the past few weeks, I have waited patiently for Building Maintenance to turn off the air-conditioning and avoided hypothermia with a portable heater. (I purchased it last year specifically to warm my carrel.)
Why, you might ask, don't I ask the Nice People at the Information Desk to pass a message to Building Maintenance to adjust the temperature?
The short answer: once burned, twice shy.
After I asked the Nice People last year, Building Maintenance turned the heat on FULL BLAST. This resulted in my carrel being turned from a fridge into a sauna.
But the weather's getting rather chilly now and one simply cannot leave a portable heater on all day or study while wearing one's winter coat, so despite the risk of living in a sauna, I'm off to visit the Nice People at the Information Desk.
I'm hoping for a temperature somewhere between fridge and sauna, but I suspect that Building Maintenance simply doesn't want to get spit out of the Judge's mouth...
Monday, October 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that is a difficult proposition to adjust the temperature in a room. winsomeone and i were at a conference one year and it was our job to make sure the maintenance kept the temperature comfortable in the rooms. all the conference attendees were very thorough in letting us know how they felt. what a difficult task! it was always too hot or too cold for somebody's liking. : )
Post a Comment