Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Library's Open Late, But...

Starting today, the library's open late, but I'm still heading home early today. Why? Because my mom won a new kitchen.

My sister entered a home renovations contest. And her entry actually won.

The renovations start tomorrow morning. So, the whole family is pitching in tonight to clear EVERYTHING out of the kitchen: everything in the cupboards, everything on the counters, everything on the floor. The fridge will be in the living room. The stove will be in the dining room. The dishes will be in boxes. The pots and pans will be in the basement. (I don't yet know where the kitchen table and chairs are going to be; there's talk of the garage.)

My mom's delighted because she's getting new appliances, new furniture, new white cupboards, new ceramic tile floors... But I will have no access to the kitchen for at least two weeks.

Maybe I'll check into a hotel...

4 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Being a home-owner, I chastise you for your lack of absolute joy over this fantastic winning. Being a food-buff, I am empathetic to your loss of kitchen access for the fortnight. Whatever you do, don't check into one of those cheap motels where the stinky sheets and carpet follow you and your belongings for days...

busterwife said...

that is sooo cool! is it going to be filmed or something? i've seen shows where people win new kitchens and then they film the whole experience - home renovation/reality tv show. i wonder if you might end up on some tv episode in your pajamas or something! Better find out more about that... the cheap hotel might be a good idea after all! ;-)

Scholar Wannabe said...

WinsomeOne: I'd be absolutely joyful over the winning if it were MY kitchen, but it's my MOM's kitchen, from which I am generally barred.

Busterwife: It is being filmed/photographed, etc. But I have already given notice that I WILL NOT participate in anything remotely related to TV.

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Gasp! Scholar-wannabe, on TV!!!!