Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Good Teaching Day

At first glance, one might not expect a class on the family tree of the Best Man Ever to be particularly stimulating.

But it was. It really was.

We compared and contrasted the First and Second Biographies of the Best Man Ever. And so the students finally understood what "diversity in the Good Book" could look like.

We dissected all the numbers and names in the family tree. And so the students finally thought about the definition of the word "truth."

And we read the back-stories of the ancestors who belonged to the fairer sex. The students were entertained (read: engaged in learning) by the stories of betrayal, seduction, sex, and even methods of birth control. And they were really rather shocked by the sheer quantity of sexual innuendos.

But the students finally thought about their preconceptions about gender.

All in all, I think that I've put in a very good day's work.

2 comments:

CM said...

Yay!! I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who is fascinated by the family tree.

Do the differences really have to do with the intended audiences?

Scholar Wannabe said...

CM: Oh my, YES!