Sunday, May 16, 2010

How NOT to Impress Your Prof
  • Boast about the fact that you NEVER do research in the library because you can find everything you need on the internet. (This third-year student looked stunned when I pointed out that hir tuition paid for the books that s/he refused to use.)
  • Complain that it took you FOUR WHOLE HOURS to write a five-page paper because you actually had to think about the material. (The fact that you only took four hours to write the paper shows in the quality of the paper...)
  • Respond to an assigned reading with three pages worth of variations on "I didn't understand anything that I read." (You missed the point of the reading entirely, then. You need to read and to think until you understand the material.)
  • Ask repeatedly, "How many hours do I need to study for the final exam?" (My answer shocked the student: You need to study until you know the material.)
  • Not attend a single class since Spring Break and then write to the prof one week before the final exam saying, "I need to pass your course in order to graduate at the end of the month. What can I do to pass?" (Can we say, "Too little, too late"?)
I am SO looking forward to the end of the semester.

No comments: