When in Rome?
For personal and professional reasons, I don't disclose my beliefs to my students.
Personally, this may simply be a function of the fact that in Home Country, one does not wear one's beliefs on one's sleeve (which, in my opinion, is in stark contrast with New Country where one does).
Professionally, I don't want to create a perception amongst my students that I favour those who hold the same beliefs as me (or that I am stricter with those who don't).
This approach, however, doesn't seem to work at SLAC.
Which brings me to Student A.
I intend to summon Student A for a little chat. Colleague (who is also a Shepherd) tells me that Student A intends to go on to train to be a Shepherd and has advised me to disclose my beliefs and my training to Student A, if only to challenge hir thinking about what a Sheep looks like.
My pragmatic voice tells me, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Most of the colleagues in my department disclose their beliefs. So, perhaps I should as well (my colleagues do acknowledge, however, that I'm well within my rights not to and that my reasons for not disclosing my beliefs are sound). If Student A is convinced that I'm a Sheep, then perhaps s/he will stop making my life in the classroom so miserable.
My individualistic voice, however, wonders if Student A would be convinced that I'm a Sheep. And more importantly, why should I sacrifice my values and personal decisions in order to challenge one student's prejudices?
The semester ends in less than a month and then, regardless of what my students think of me, I will leave them behind and (likely) never see any of them again.
But I am wondering whether I'll disclose my beliefs when I arrive at First-Choice U.
When in Rome (or in New Country), should one really do as the Romans do?
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Tough one. I'm navigating between cultures myself.
SW, dare I ask this aloud? "why does Student A fail to see that conforming to BME does not mean to be uniform sheep?" gaah, let's hope s/he sees that the grass on the other side ain't poisonous after all.
Post a Comment