Friday, January 08, 2010

I'm A Terrible Influence

When I first told my mom about my plans to go to TLWTMS, I was quite sure that she was going to kill me.

Well, remember my 300-level course with only two students?

I ultimately decided to teach the course with two students. And I think that it worked out fine: I didn't have too much grading to do and the students learned a lot.

I tried to treat the students as colleagues, so they got to know more about me than my 100-level students. Over the course of the semester, I mentioned that I had lived and dug in TLWTMS.

I just received an email from one of those students:

S/he has decided to pursue a study abroad program.

In TLWTMS.

In The City.

I am both excited for and envious of hir. S/he's going to have a WONDERFUL time.

But I'm a bit fearful that hir parents are going to kill me...

3 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Ha ha ha. You're such an engaging writer!

Scholar Wannabe said...

LD: Thanks so much for the compliment.

I'm generally insecure about my writing style, as my background didn't require the composition of sentences more complex than, "Therefore, the percentage yield was ...".

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

"Therefore, the percentage yield was..." can be a VERY engaging sentence for some. :-)