Saturday, November 28, 2009

One More Big Society's Annual Conference Story

So, I was in line at the Cyber Cafe and making small talk with the guy in front of me. Naturally, the conversation turned toward our current positions.

Me: Oh, I'm on a one-year appointment at a small liberal arts college.
Guy: Oh, where?
Me: Oh, you probably don't know it. It's (fill in name of college) in SmallTown.
Guy: Oh, I have heard of that school. Which position did you get?
Me: Oh, just a one-year sabbatical replacement.
Guy: No, which position did you get?
Me (beginning to feel weird about this conversation): Umm, the Second Half of the Good Book.
Guy: Oh, so you're the one who got that position! I interviewed for that position, too.
Me: Oh, I hope that you found something else.
Guy: Nope, I didn't. But I can see why they hired you; you're a nice person.

Awkward.

And potentially insulting (I think that I was hired because I'm more qualified than this guy).


Fortunately, the line moved at this point and the conversation was thankfully cut off.

Best Friend once asked me how many other people applied for my current position. I didn't know.

But now I know that I beat at least one other person...

No comments: