Friday, October 16, 2009

On Pedagogy

I must confess that even I am aware that my pedagogy does not quite meet the standard of orthodox. Indeed, I would admit that I am quite happy to throw orthodox pedagogy out the window if it will help my students learn.

To that end, I have been playing music, such as The Messiah and Que Sera Sera. I have also been showing excerpts from such movies as Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Star Wars.

And while my students were entertained, it was not until today that they realized just how committed I am to their learning. And when they realized this, waves of shock rippled through the classroom.

What triggered this realization? A student asking for clarification of the term "contentious."

My initial response was "Disagreeable, argumentative."

And then I added the term that would forever engrave the word "contentious" into the minds of my students.

"Bitchy."

What can I say?

I'll do whatever it takes to help my students learn.

4 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

he he he

Scholar Wannabe said...

LD: When we got to the Good Book's love poetry, I played Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On and On."

The girls sang along.

The guys withered in their seats in pure agony with looks on their faces that said, "WHY is the professor inflicting such torture on us?!?"

=)

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

I am thinking: Scholar Wannabe or Sadist Wannabe? ;-)

When I read the Love Poetry to my workshop kids, I picked the raunchy parts and put it on overhead in NLT. I had boys and girls read their respective parts out loud. Those pinky cheeks turned bright red in no time!

Who says the Good Book is not interested in... well, you know.

Scholar Wannabe said...

Well, it might be sadistic, but it's also intercultural exposure! =P

And, FYI, it was a huge sacrifice on my own part because I truly detest that song with every fiber of my being.