Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Not-So-Open-Letter To My Students

Dear students in my first-year intro to the Good Book,

As you know, the mid-term exam took place last Friday. While the class average was quite high (yes, in my opinion a class average of 80% is high), I know that some of you were quite disappointed in your mid-term grades.

I understand that for many of you that the transition to college can be challenging. Perhaps it was not enough that I provided a list of topics that would be covered on the mid-terms, that I informed you beforehand of the format of the exam, and that I conducted an in-class review.

It is my understanding that other profs in this department sometimes allow students to complete make-up tests or extra-credit assignments in order for students to improve less-than-stellar grades.

While I recognize that I am still learning how things are done in my new department (it is, indeed, quite likely that I am one of the more stringent profs in the department), I am quite hesitant to make this option available to you.

Why?

Because it involves the creation of a new test or assignment on my part.

And because it involves more grading on my part.

And because in the real world, you won't always get a second chance. When you make the pitch to the client, when you treat the patient, or when you defend your client in court, you need to get it right the first time.

I really am still thinking about how to handle this situation and I'm seeking the advice of my colleagues.

But in the mean time, here's some food for thought: perhaps you should have learned the material in the first place.

Prof. S.W.

No comments: