A New Title
Dear Student-enrolled-in-one-of-my-fall-courses,
It came as a surprise to me to find your email in my brand new email account (at the rate that these emails are coming, my email account won't be new by the time I actually arrive in Small Town!).
I appreciate that you'd like to know which textbooks I have chosen for this course, so that you'll have time to shop around for a good price (I am more than able to empathize with the student budget).
I appreciate even more that you addressed me as "Professor."
But this created a bit of a problem for me: how should I sign my email in response to you?
I've always signed it off as Scholar-Wannabe. But I don't really want my students to be on a first-name basis with me. That might cause problems for me in the future if the students don't respect my authority.
But I don't really want to sign off as Professor Scholar-Wannabe. That looks too pretentious.
So, I hope you'll understand that I signed off as "SW." I've seen my own profs do it and I now I finally understand why.
Enjoy the rest of your summer,
SW
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Professor SW does have an interesting ring to it, yet it seems to me an oxymoron, but the title of Professor makes me almost tear with pride...Wondering when a lowly pseudo-Masters graduate, like myself, will be able to approach and humbly call you Doctor S?!
Art, my policy is that people who knew me before I became a prof can (and MUST) continue to address me by first name only! =P
Post a Comment